Inn at Ellis River’s Minted Green Pea Soup
Mint and lemon add refreshing notes to this soup, which can be enjoyed year round. The recipe was featured on the 2013 Inn to Inn Herb Tour.
- 2 leeks
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock (if not available, substitute low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth)
- 5 cups frozen baby peas
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped.
Wash leeks well and chop the white and light green portions. Peel and chop the red onion. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and onion, and cook over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add 2 cups of the chicken stock, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Add the peas and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the peas are tender. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining stock, mint, parsley, salt and pepper.
Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender on low speed. It the soup is too thick, add a small amount of stock or water. Whisk in lemon zest and ½ cup of cr me fraiche just before serving. Garnish each serving with chives and a spoonful of cr me fraiche. Serves 6-10.