Inn at Ellis River’s Sage-Turkey Breakfast Sausage
Sage and turkey have always been great partners, so we decided to feature this sausage at breakfast during the 2011 Inn to Inn Herb Tour.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small Vidalia or 1015 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried roasted garlic or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet; add onions and cook over low heat until soft. Add the wine, garlic and fennel, continue to cook for about two minutes and remove from heat. Stir in pepper, salt, and mustard and allow to cool (about 10 minutes). Add sage to seasoning mixture and gently mix with ground turkey. Form sausage into eight patties. Heat remaining oil in nonstick skillet and cook sausage patties over medium high heat until lightly brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and continue cooking until sausage is just cooked through.